Wednesday, May 24th, 2017
I had a situation where I didn’t have the iLO virtual drives for an HP server. Whomever installed it, didn’t apply the iLO license.
After I installed the proper license; I was rewarded with:
iLO “Remote Console is unavailable. It is already in use by
a different client”
Tried a few things but nothing worked. The iLO was simply locked.
You can force it to reset. On the top level (this is for iLO3), look for the diagnostics link under Information. Click the Diagnostics link
Look for the Reset button. Click it and you will be tossed for the session. Wait about thirty seconds and login again.
Thursday, April 27th, 2017
I have a secured cluster where there is no Net access. The users had licenses for Office 2013 and wanted to use them inside the cluster.
Office likes to activate itself. It tried and gave an error. I restarted Word and it gave the options for Internet and telephone activation. I selected telephone and I selected my location and was rewarded with:
Telephone activation is no longer supported for your product
Oooooookay. No Net and no telephone…….
Luckily this is just a “feature.”
I went through the telephone process and activated the installation. The only problem now are templates which appear to be downloaded from the Net. But, I will take care of that if they complain.
Friday, January 6th, 2017
One of our services gave an odd error. External user would attempt to access it and they would get an error about a configuration file not downloading.
The part of the error message that interested me was:
Failed to download this file. Error code 0x800C0008
What was odd was the service worked inside the firewall.
I thought it was browser related and checked the Net.
I tried the suggested registry change:
- Start Registry Editor.
- For a per-user setting, locate the following registry key:
For a per-computer setting, locate the following registry key:
- On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following value:
- Exit Registry Editor.
This did not need a reboot and the change worked.
To add more “oddness” the service started working before the affected users made the change.
Hmmmmmm? Network people or Security people?
Wednesday, January 4th, 2017
Minor odd issue. For some reason my mouse was selecting all virtual machines in XenCenter.
Problem was simply a stuck shift key. Banged it a couple times and the problem went away.
Wednesday, June 29th, 2016
I had a question about the bit level of Office 2016. Sometimes I try the different versions for testing and forgot what was last installed.
Outlook happened to be open so I clicked File and selected Office Account.
This brought up the Product information but it was not listed.
I clicked the Blue Question mark About Outlook Button.
There the level was listed and it turned out to be 32-bit.
Tuesday, May 10th, 2016
I had an issue where we needed a small domain to register it’s Windows 2012 virtual machines to the main KMS of the company.
The problem was the small domain had it’s own IP range and it’s own DNS. I attempted to activate the virtual machines and received a message reporting the KMS was not resolvable in DNS.
Since this was a tiny domain and the DNS would not be managed, I needed another way to activate the virtual machines.
Looking at the options of the slmgr script, I found what I needed.
slmgr.vbs /skms <ip address>:<port number>
This tells the system where to look for the KMS and what port to use.
After the “OK” message, I simply attempted activation via:
The virtual machines activated.
Friday, April 15th, 2016
We have a console network to handle access to all the DRAC and iLo ports. Every so often people forget to change the name assigned to the port.
I was reloading several systems for a new project and of course there was one that was not changed. It is running the xen hypervisor so there wasn’t a quick way to address this.
I accessed the host through the iLO port and was able to rename the system. However, there was a message (aren’t there always?):
There are pending changes that may not take effect until iLO is reset.
I looked around the iLO pages but there wasn’t a command to do this.
What about the iLO port itself?
SSH into the port
enter: CD /map1
Waited a little bit and the correct hostname worked on the console network.
Monday, April 4th, 2016
One can say many things about Outlook. Love it; hate it; sometimes it’s the only choice. I am testing Outlook 2016. It’s pretty and offers many things.
I had to reboot my system and when Outlook was started; it simply gave a pretty blue window which displayed: “Processing…”
Normally, it’s pretty quick.
I killed the session and decided to see what happens in Safe mode:
- enter: outlook.exe /safe
Outlook initiated. After that I close the session and was able to initiate it.
Probably, a “confused” profile but I didn’t look into it. I will if it happens again.
Thursday, March 17th, 2016
I had a user complaint over not being able to access a terminal server. He would attempt access and receive an error message:
The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access denied.
Since it was a terminal server; I renamed his profile and he was able to access it.