Wednesday, May 24th, 2017
I had a situation where I didn’t have the iLO virtual drives for an HP server. Whomever installed it, didn’t apply the iLO license.
After I installed the proper license; I was rewarded with:
iLO “Remote Console is unavailable. It is already in use by
a different client”
Tried a few things but nothing worked. The iLO was simply locked.
You can force it to reset. On the top level (this is for iLO3), look for the diagnostics link under Information. Click the Diagnostics link
Look for the Reset button. Click it and you will be tossed for the session. Wait about thirty seconds and login again.
Friday, January 6th, 2017
One of our services gave an odd error. External user would attempt to access it and they would get an error about a configuration file not downloading.
The part of the error message that interested me was:
Failed to download this file. Error code 0x800C0008
What was odd was the service worked inside the firewall.
I thought it was browser related and checked the Net.
I tried the suggested registry change:
- Start Registry Editor.
- For a per-user setting, locate the following registry key:
For a per-computer setting, locate the following registry key:
- On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following value:
- Exit Registry Editor.
This did not need a reboot and the change worked.
To add more “oddness” the service started working before the affected users made the change.
Hmmmmmm? Network people or Security people?
Wednesday, January 4th, 2017
Minor odd issue. For some reason my mouse was selecting all virtual machines in XenCenter.
Problem was simply a stuck shift key. Banged it a couple times and the problem went away.
Tuesday, May 10th, 2016
I had an issue where we needed a small domain to register it’s Windows 2012 virtual machines to the main KMS of the company.
The problem was the small domain had it’s own IP range and it’s own DNS. I attempted to activate the virtual machines and received a message reporting the KMS was not resolvable in DNS.
Since this was a tiny domain and the DNS would not be managed, I needed another way to activate the virtual machines.
Looking at the options of the slmgr script, I found what I needed.
slmgr.vbs /skms <ip address>:<port number>
This tells the system where to look for the KMS and what port to use.
After the “OK” message, I simply attempted activation via:
The virtual machines activated.
Friday, April 15th, 2016
We have a console network to handle access to all the DRAC and iLo ports. Every so often people forget to change the name assigned to the port.
I was reloading several systems for a new project and of course there was one that was not changed. It is running the xen hypervisor so there wasn’t a quick way to address this.
I accessed the host through the iLO port and was able to rename the system. However, there was a message (aren’t there always?):
There are pending changes that may not take effect until iLO is reset.
I looked around the iLO pages but there wasn’t a command to do this.
What about the iLO port itself?
SSH into the port
enter: CD /map1
Waited a little bit and the correct hostname worked on the console network.
Monday, April 4th, 2016
One can say many things about Outlook. Love it; hate it; sometimes it’s the only choice. I am testing Outlook 2016. It’s pretty and offers many things.
I had to reboot my system and when Outlook was started; it simply gave a pretty blue window which displayed: “Processing…”
Normally, it’s pretty quick.
I killed the session and decided to see what happens in Safe mode:
- enter: outlook.exe /safe
Outlook initiated. After that I close the session and was able to initiate it.
Probably, a “confused” profile but I didn’t look into it. I will if it happens again.
Thursday, March 17th, 2016
I had a user complaint over not being able to access a terminal server. He would attempt access and receive an error message:
The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access denied.
Since it was a terminal server; I renamed his profile and he was able to access it.
Thursday, February 4th, 2016
I am on the preview testing cycle for Windows 10. Why? I like to be tortured I guess. Originally, it was to get an early view of the OS through the Windows Insider Program.
At one point I installed the released version but the program overlaid my full OS with another build of the Preview releases. You have to cancel the program to prevent this.
I received build 14251 as part of the normal sequence but I found this release broke jabber. The text was invisible. Secret Agent Man Font? I verified many things were in place (an old one is active scripting disabled for IE). But nothing readily obvious.
A few days later 14257 was released and jabber worked again.
Thursday, December 3rd, 2015
A windows virtual machine goes bad and gives the terrible Blue Screen of Death. The problem is it goes away before you can read it.
What is interesting is the way many people can overlook a simple solution for getting this information. There are many articles about what to do to slow down the boot process, capturing error messages through many steps, etc., etc.
If it was a physical host, it makes sense. However, with a virtual machine and using the host console (in this case VMware); there is a simple way.
Watch the system go through the reboot and attempt to load. When the BSOD appears, take a screen capture.
Sunday, November 15th, 2015
Our monitoring systems reported errors with a terminal server. I tried remote desktop and received the following error:
Remote logins are currently disabled.
Someone with administrator access disabled the logins with the change logon command.
The management console for reasons not pertinent to this issue was not usable at this time. In order to enable the logins, I needed to a way to submit the command.
Time for our trusty friend “psexec”
psexec.exe “\\<terminal server>\ change logon /enable”
After that we could access the terminal server.