Wednesday, January 28th, 2015
I had a request to identify the model of a server running Redhat. There is the asset database but I wanted a faster solution.
A quick Google search and I found the answer.
Log into the server and SU to root.
dmidecode | grep -A3 '^System Information'
Product Name: ProLiant DL360 G7
Version: Not Specified
Posted in commands, inventory
Tagged Linux, redhat
Wednesday, January 21st, 2015
I was configuring iLO access for several servers and in one instance was rewarded with an error message.
The program can't start because MSVCR100_CLR0400.dll is missing
from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
I reinstalled but the error remained. For grins I decided to reinstall the .Net 4.0 and from Microsoft I downloaded the installer. It gave an option to repair it or remove it. I chose to repair it and it solved the problem.
Posted in ilo, troubleshooting
Monday, January 12th, 2015
Nothing is more frustrating then a strange computer problem at the wrong time. Is there ever a right time?
Such was the case of a Macbook. The user complained the touch pad was messed up. It kept trying to select everything and she could not close any windows.
A force quit and a reboot did not solve the problem. She was pretty good about patching the OS so the idea of a bad patch was considered but nothing obvious showed up on a Google search. Time to consider the nonobvious.
The villain?………the wireless mouse!
It was in a carry bag and at one point the user needed something from the bag. She placed the bag in a spot which put the mouse in range of the laptop. Stuff shifted and something pressed a mouse button!
Once the mouse was retrieved; the problem stopped!
Good tech but can cause an unexpected “feature.”
Posted in troubleshooting, wireless mouse
Saturday, January 10th, 2015
I was building a “quick and dirty” report and found in some cases, I would get a double line spacing with a carriage return.
I tried many things but I could not get rid of this “feature.”
Google showed an old entry which explained how to fix it.
Select all lines on your page which have this problem (I did a select all)
On the toolbar, look in the Paragraph section. There you will see a button with both up and down arrows on the left side of a paragraph. Click it.
There you will see Add 10pt spacing after paragraphs. Deselect that and you will see your selection return to single line spacing.
Posted in wordpad