Archive for the ‘Active Directory’ Category

DsGetSiteName failed: Status = 1919 0x77f ERROR_NO_SITENAME

Sunday, September 16th, 2012

A user reported this error when he attempted to check the site name on a terminal server via the command: nltest /dsgetsite

A rather odd error as it usually appears on domain controllers and exchange servers. DNS was in order and there wasn’t an obvious error in the logs.

I checked which logon server was handling authentication for the terminal server via echo %LOGONSERVER% and found domain controllers in other countries were handling the authentication. I checked a couple other windows boxes and found the same errors.

This suggested the subnet for Active Directory was not configured or had a typo. I was not able to immediately verify this as AD is controlled by another group. I opened a trouble ticket and will wait for an answer.

I needed to solve the problem for the users who spotted this error. I found a registry entry would handle this issue.

From regedit; drill down the following:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters

Once you click Parameters, add a string word called “SiteName

Add the current site name to the entry and exit regedit.

nltest /dsgetsite will now function as expected.

Not the best of solutions; but it at least it solved the user’s problem while the AD people figure out what is going on.

If I get an answer, I will update this post.

-update-

As suspected; a subnet range was missing from the AD configuration.  It was added and the correct site and logonservers were appearing.