A user reported this error when he attempted to check the site name on a terminal server via the command: nltest /dsgetsite
A rather odd error as it usually appears on domain controllers and exchange servers. DNS was in order and there wasn’t an obvious error in the logs.
I checked which logon server was handling authentication for the terminal server via echo %LOGONSERVER% and found domain controllers in other countries were handling the authentication. I checked a couple other windows boxes and found the same errors.
This suggested the subnet for Active Directory was not configured or had a typo. I was not able to immediately verify this as AD is controlled by another group. I opened a trouble ticket and will wait for an answer.
I needed to solve the problem for the users who spotted this error. I found a registry entry would handle this issue.
From regedit; drill down the following:
Once you click Parameters, add a string word called “SiteName”
Add the current site name to the entry and exit regedit.
nltest /dsgetsite will now function as expected.
Not the best of solutions; but it at least it solved the user’s problem while the AD people figure out what is going on.
If I get an answer, I will update this post.
As suspected; a subnet range was missing from the AD configuration. It was added and the correct site and logonservers were appearing.
Thanks a lot for the post !!.
I introduced the value in the register, and it was okay, but I reviewed the subnet configuration in AD and it seems okay, My Exchange server does not find its site, and all my research through google leads to that “subnet issue”.
You sir are a hero. I was losing it looking for this and you cracked the case. Thank you so much!