While scripting a report; I noticed a bogus error about a file version being wrong.
I examined the server in question and found the server service was not running.
I tried to start it but it stopped right away with the following message in the system event log.
The Server service terminated with the following error:
The account used is a computer account. Use your global user account or local user account to access this server.
Another server with the same problem would give this message:
Windows could not start the Server service on Local Computer Error: 1808: The account used is a computer account. Use your Global user account or local user account to access this server.
The service was configured correctly.
An odd problem and it’s cause was the fact a couple users placed URLs in the system Path variable (ie \\server\mount\dir).
Removing the entries and a reboot of the server corrected the issue.