I was setting up a new server and when it came time to test a few things; I received this nice message when I tried Remote Desktop:
The connection cannot be completed because the remote computer that was reached is not the one you specified. This could be caused by an outdated entry in the DNS cache. Try using the IP address of the computer instead of the name.
I checked the cache and DNS and found it was in order. Remote desktop would work with the IP address.
This was one of two machines with the same setup and the configuration matched the other machine. I checked the Microsoft site and found this.
All you need to do is:
- Start > Administrative Tools > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration.
- Look under Connections and Right-click the RDP listener (Connection name is RDP-Tcp) and select properties.
- Look in the security box where you should see the security layer is set to negotiate.
- Change it to RDP Security Layer via the drop down button.
- Click OK and close the Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration.
After that; Remote Desktop by hostname works.
I can’t explain why this happened on one of two identically configured systems. I could go back and hunt for a reason if I had time which I never do of course….
Well now. While working on another issue; I found the problem. The hostname was misspelled on the host. DNS and AD managed to give functionality but other things like simply mounting the C drive \\host\C$ failed giving the error “The target account name is incorrect” A quick delete of the domain record, a reboot and the problem is solved.